Monday, November 9, 2009

Essay 3

At this point in my life I feel that my fate is determined by parents, friends, and school. I say parents because they set all these rules we have to follow. I say friends because the first minute we decided to associate with them we knew the influence they were going bring. School is the same like parents they set all these boundaries that if we don’t follow there will be consequences so that rules out free will.

Shick argues. “if someone is forcing you to do something against your will or preventing you from doing something you want to do, you are not free.”(88) I agree. You think if we really had the choice of going to school most of us would be here? Since the time where to get a descent paying job requires a degree. Government chose are fate for us.

Like cypher in the movie argues “you call this free?” “All I do is what he tells me to do. If I have to choose f between that and the matrix I choose the matrix”. It may seem like the people gives choices to make, but either way whatever we choose were still going to have rules to follow. In the film “the matrix” Neo was giving a choice by the oracle. Either he saves his own life or chooses to save Morpheus. This really isn’t a choice because the oracle already knew what was going to happen. She made it seem like he was making the choice, but the choice was already made.

Another argument that rules out free will is god. Schick explains on page 94, if god gives us two paths with different journeys along the way for us to make the choice, but he already knows what path I’m going to take than really is my choice to make? Another argument that seems to rule out free will: in the 2nd film “the Matrix reloaded”. The 2nd meeting between Neo and the oracle, the oracle offers Neo a piece of candy. Why would she offer when she already knew that Neo was going to take it?

How can we make a choice when parents and school already made the choice for us? For example I came home from school yesterday and my mom asks “you want soup or steak?” and I clearly said steak, she had already made the soup so than why would she give me choices. She had already made the choice for me.

The choices we make in life have consequences and those consequences are the ones that determine our fate. Whether we make the choice or not both roads will have the same fate. Even if we try to avoid the inevitable your fate would always be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment